Sunday, January 27, 2008

A Tribute To Hunter

My beautiful grandson Hunter passed away in his mothers arms on Friday January 11, 2008. He brought such joy and light to those of us who loved him we will be left with a hole in our hearts forever.

Hunter taught us so many things in his short miraculous life – total unadulterated love – perseverance – in your face tenacity...

Hunter my little man, my bright eyed baby boy – you are such a beacon of light –
I loved to kiss your pudgy cheeks...
I loved to feel your little fists wrap around my fingers...

In the days that followed Hunter leaving us we had to pull ourselves together the best we could and give him a loving tribute. Amber asked me if I could please speak on her behalf at the funeral...

I agreed - I didn't think I could pull it off - I didn't know how I could do it, I just knew it was some thing I needed to do for my daughter who after all had just lost her only child - a son that she loved more than life itself.

The morning of the funeral my beautiful daughter wrote this poem - it took her no more than 15 minutes... this is what I read at Hunters funeral.


This IS Going To Hurt


“This is going to hurt”

The nurse said to me, only hours after having my special baby; it was about a shot, but I knew better, it was about the journey ahead of me.

“This is going to hurt”...

I saw you for the first time, so little and so frail, I knew instantly you were my life’s mission and I knew I couldn’t fail...

“This is going to hurt”....

I took you home and raised you, amid Dr’s warnings, trying to prepare; your big brown eyes and fuzzy red hair caught me unaware, they nestled themselves deep in my heart and I felt such joy... and I just loved you beyond all others my precious baby boy...

‘This is going to hurt’...

It wasn’t easy for either of us; doctors words, needles and pain.
Sweetheart for all the time it gave us I wouldn’t change a thing.

Those late late nights of holding you and kissing your double chin, your feistiness and tiny hands, gripping my thumb within.

Your sweet gaze full of love, staring at my face... for all the love I felt from you and God’s amazing Grace...

“This is going to hurt”...

Nine months, sweet boy I held you; nine months, I watched your strife; nine months, we fought together to keep you in this life...

But your little body couldn't bare what your spirit tried to best... and together we decided to let your little body rest...

“This is going to hurt”...

I know you are up there watching, playing with angels in the sky. Please forgive me baby boy if all I want to do right now is cry...

Such a blessing to all who knew you, so many sweet moments time cannot replace. Sleep in Gods arms little one and know you have found your place.

Play with your family up in heaven dear, look forward to the day I join you amidst all the beauty up there. I will once again hold you and gaze at your darling face.

Know that I wouldn’t change a thing, not one memory would I erase...

It was worth every ounce of hurt... I love you Hunter baby....

Love Mom

1 comment:

John said...

Thank you for this- it has changed a lot of how I look on life and family. Your words and Hunter's life have been a mark of inspiration in this world. Thank you for sharing his life with us!